Is the flu vaccine free?
Influenza vaccine is recommended for everyone > 6 months old.
It is currently free for the following groups of people due to their increased risk of complications from influenza:
- All Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- All adults ³65 years of age
- All children ³6 months to <5 years of age
- All people ³6 months of age with certain medical conditions (e.g. severe asthma, lung or heart disease, low immunity or diabetes) – speak to your doctor if you are unsure if you are eligible
- Pregnant women (at any stage during their pregnancy).
Sources & Citations
4. Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI). Statement on administration of seasonal influenza vaccines in 2020. Available at: www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2020/03/atagi-advice-on-seasonal-influenza-vaccines-in-2020.pdf (accessed 11 March 2020).
SPANZ.IFLU.18.04.0165a(3)a - Date of preparation March 2020Show All