Is the flu vaccine free?
The influenza vaccine is recommended for everyone from 6 months old.
It is currently free for the following groups of people due to their increased risk of complications from influenza:
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders aged 6 months to 5 years or >15 years
- All adults >65 years of age
- All people >6 months of age with certain medical conditions (e.g. severe asthma, lung or heart disease, low immunity or diabetes) – speak to your doctor if you are unsure if you are eligible
- Pregnant women (at any stage during their pregnancy.
- In 2019 many State & Territory governments are funding free flu vaccine for children less than 5 years of age. Check with your doctor for more information.
Although the vaccine is not free for everyone, it is easily accessible and can be administered by your doctor at your local general practice, or via a registered pharmacist.
Sources & Citations
- Australian Government, Department of Health. Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) for immunisation providers regarding the administration of seasonal influenza vaccines in 2018. Available at: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&ved=0ahUKEwiwj4ihnsDaAhWChOAKHQfqANw4ChAWCDIwAg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww2.health.vic.gov.au%2FApi%2Fdownloadmedia%2F%257BF5DB5969-440E-4437-96FB-4F3FD2192A86%257D&usg=AOvVaw0nNugZ32Obs1LrZcAdQ48d (accessed 16 February 2018).
- NSW Government. Free flu job for NSW kids under five this winter. 23 January 2018. Available at: https://www.nsw.gov.au/your-government/the-premier/media-releases-from-the-premier/free-flu-jab-for-nsw-kids-under-five-this-winter/ (accessed 7 July 2018).
- Queensland Government. Queensland Health. Free influenza vaccine for children. 20 October 2017. Available at: https://www.health.qld.gov.au/clinical-practice/guidelines-procedures/diseases-infection/immunisation/free-influenza-vaccine-for-children (accessed 7 July 2018).
- Government of Western Australia. Department of Health. Influenza immunization program. Available at: http://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/Articles/F_I/Influenza-immunisation-program (accessed 4 February 2018).
- ACT Government. Free flu vaccinations for Canberra children this winter. 27 February 2018. Available at: https://www.cmtedd.act.gov.au/open_government/inform/act_government_media_releases/meegan-fitzharris-mla-media-releases/2018/free-flu-vaccinations-for-canberra-children-this-winter (accessed 7 July 2018).
- SA Health. Free influenza (flu) vaccine for South Australian children under five. 27 April 2018. Available at: http://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/public+content/sa+health+internet/clinical+resources/for+gps/gp+news/free+influenza+flu+vaccine+for+south+australian+children+under+five (accessed 7 July 2018).
- Hennessy J. Free flu vaccinations to protect Victorian kids. 24 February 2018. Available at: https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/free-flu-vaccinations-to-protect-victorian-kids/ (accessed 7 July 2018).