Is the flu vaccine free?
It is currently free for the following groups of people due to their increased risk of complications from influenza:
- All Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- All adults 65 years of age
- All children 6 months to <5 years of age
- All people 6 months of age with certain medical conditions (e.g. severe asthma, lung or heart disease, low immunity or diabetes) – speak to your doctor if you are unsure if you are eligible
- Pregnant women (at any stage during their pregnancy).
While not everyone is eligible for a funded influenza vaccine, the Department of Health recommends influenza vaccination for everyone over the age of 6 months to prevent influenza and its complications.
Sources & Citations
3. Department of Health. Australian Immunisation Handbook - Influenza. Available at: https://immunisationhandbook.health.gov.au/vaccine-preventable-diseases/influenza-flu (accessed 10 November 2021).
MAT-AU-2102449 Date of preparation January 2022Show All