How can cryptosporidium be prevented?
The best ways to prevent infection are:
- Keep away from public areas until their diarrhoea has stopped.
- Wash hands properly, especially after using the toilet and handling animals.
- Use paper towels when drying hands. This is important for food handlers.
- Avoid preparing food and touching communal food items or utensils until symptoms have stopped.
- Do not swim in pools or lakes for two weeks after diarrhoea has stopped.
- Clean bathrooms and other surfaces regularly.
- Filter or boil contaminated water before drinking.
For more information of cryptosporidium and its prevention, speak with your healthcare professional.
Sources & Citations
- Victoria State Government. Better Health Channel. Gastroenteritis - cryptosporidiosis. Available at: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/gastroenteritis-cryptosporidiosis (accessed 25 October 2018).
SPANZ.SAPAS.18.10.0375 - Date of preparation October 2018Show All