How can dengue fever be prevented?
Talk to your doctor about ways to prevent infection with dengue fever. These will include measures to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes, which can bite during the daytime or at night:3,4
- use mosquito coils or plug-in mosquito repellent devices inside
- sleep in screened/air-conditioned rooms
- use bed nets if you can’t keep the mosquitoes outside
- wear long-sleeved, light-coloured clothing covering as much skin as possible
- use insect repellent containing DEET (diethyl toluamide) or picaridin and reapply according to the instructions on the label.
For more information regarding dengue fever speak with your health care professional.
Sources & Citations
3. Australian Government. Department of Health. Dengue Fact Sheet. Available at: https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/BF7B5828E045FE55CA257FE900207D87/$File/Dengue-Fever-Factsheet.pdf (accessed 12 June 2020).
4. Queensland Government. Avoid mosquito bites. Available at: https://www.qld.gov.au/health/conditions/all/prevention/mosquito-borne/bites (accessed 12 June 2020).
MAT-AU-2000116 - Date of preparation June 2020Show All