How can dengue fever be prevented?
Talk to your doctor about ways to prevent infection with dengue fever. These will include measures to avoid being bitten by mosquito, which can bite during the daytime or at night:
- use mosquito coils or plug-in mosquito repellent devices inside
- sleep in screened/air-conditioned rooms
- use bed nets if you can’t keep the mosquitoes outside
- cover as much skin as possible, wear long-sleeved, light-coloured clothing and cover your feet
- use insect repellent containing DEET (diethyl toluamide) or picaridin and reapply according to the instructions on the label.
For more information regarding dengue fever, speak with your healthcare professional.
Sources & Citations
Australian Government. Department of Health. Dengue Fact Sheet. Available at: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/ohp-dengue-fs.htm (accessed 2 November 2018).
SPANZ.SAPAS.18.10.0373 - Date of preparation November 2018Show All