How can giardia be prevented?
The best ways to prevent infection are:
- Avoid public places as much as possible while you are experiencing symptoms.
- Wash hands thoroughly after going to the toilet or handling animals.
- Clean bathrooms and toilets thoroughly.
- Do not drink untreated water.
- Do not swim in public pools until at least one week after symptoms have stopped.
- Do not prepare or handle food that will be eaten by other people.
- Do not share any towel or face washer with a person who has giardiasis.
For further information regarding giardia and its prevention, speak with your healthcare professional.
Sources & Citations
Victoria State Government. Better Health Channel. Gastroenteritis - giardiasis. Available at: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/gastroenteritis-giardiasis (accessed 25 October 2018).
SPANZ.SAPAS.18.11.0396 - Date of preparation November 2018