How can salmonella be prevented?
There is no vaccine to prevent salmonellosis. Because it is spread by ingesting the bacteria from contaminated food, water or hands, good personal and food hygiene is important to prevent the spread of disease. It is important to thoroughly cook all food from animal sources to prevent salmonella infection. Improper food handling and storage techniques may also increase the risk of infection.
There are also some important things to consider such as:
- Follow good hand washing techniques after going to the toilet and before and after handling food.
- Avoid going swimming until the diarrhoea has stopped for at least 24 hours.
- Avoid recontamination from raw food within the kitchen or refrigerator, after cooking is completed.
- Emphasise the importance of refrigerating food and maintaining a sanitary kitchen.
- Avoid consuming raw or incompletely cooked eggs, or using dirty or cracked eggs.
- Pasteurise all milk and egg products.
- Educate food handlers on the importance of handwashing, and separating raw and cooked foods.
- Wash hands after handling reptiles, birds or baby chicks.
For more information regarding salmonella infection speak with your healthcare professional.
Sources & Citations
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Salmonella. Questions and answers. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/general/index.html (accessed 18 October 2018).
- Victoria State Government. Salmonellosis. Available at: https://www2.health.vic.gov.au/public-health/infectious-diseases/disease-information-advice/salmonellosis (accessed 18 October 2018).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Salmonella. Prevention. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/general/prevention.html (accessed 18 October 2018).
- Government of South Australia. SA Health. Salmonella infection – including symptoms, treatment and prevention. Available at: https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/public+content/sa+health+internet/health+topics/health+conditions+prevention+and+treatment/infectious+diseases/salmonella+infection/salmonella+infection+-+including+symptoms+treatment+and+prevention (2 November 2018).
SPANZ.SAPAS.18.10.0372 - Date of preparation November 2018