How do you treat chickenpox?
Chickenpox infection usually resolves without treatment. However, there are some ways to minimise the discomfort associated with the symptoms of infection, which may include:
- Bed rest
- Drinking extra fluids to stay hydrated
- Lukewarm baths with baking soda or oatmeal added to the water
- Creams or lotions to reduce the itching
- Wearing mittens to prevent scratching
- Avoiding salty or citrus foods.
Check with your healthcare professional before taking any medications, as some are not recommended for chickenpox.
Sources & Citations
- Victoria State Government. Better Health Channel. Chickenpox. Available at: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/chickenpox (accessed 20 May 2018).
SPANZ.SAPAS.18.04.0139a - Date of preparation May 2018Show All