How Japanese encephalitis can be prevented?
There are two main methods for preventing infection with Japanese encephalitis: vaccination and avoiding mosquito bites.
The Australian Government recommends vaccination for people (older than 1 year) traveling for one month or longer to high-risk countries. This especially if travelling in the wet season, participating in any outdoor activities, or visiting rural areas. Vaccination should be completed at least 1-2 weeks before travelling. For further information regarding vaccination, speak with your healthcare professional.
Recommended ways to decrease the likelihood of mosquito bites include:
- Wearing loose-fitting, long-sleeved shirts and long pants
- Using high strength mosquito repellent on exposed skin and clothes
- Being extra vigilant from dusk to dawn (peak mosquito biting hours for species which transmit Japanese encephalitis)
- Removing or covering still water, e.g. water buckets
- Ensuring windows and doors are closed or screened
- Using a mosquito net over sleeping areas, and spraying it with mosquito repellent or insecticide.
Sources & Citations
1. Australian Government, Department of Health. The Australian Immunisation Handbook. Japanese encephalitis. Available at: https://immunisationhandbook.health.gov.au/vaccine-preventable-diseases/japanese-encephalitis#expand-collapse-all-top (accessed 10 March 2020).
2. NSW Government, Department of Health. Japanese encephalitis fact sheet. Available at; http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/factsheets/Pages/japanese_encephalitis.aspx (accessed 10 March 2020).
9. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Chapter 4 – Travel-related infectious diseases - Japanese Encephalitis. Available at: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2020/travel-related-infectious-diseases/japanese-encephalitis#5200 (accessed 10 March 2020).
10. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Japanese encephalitis – prevention. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/japaneseencephalitis/prevention/index.html (accessed 10 March 2020).
SPANZ.IMOJ.18.04.0141(1)a - Date of preparation March 2020Show All