How long does it take to recover from mumps?
Generally, people recover from the symptoms of mumps within a few weeks.
If left untreated, complications can occur due to the inflammation caused by mumps spreading to other areas of the body:
- encephalitis (swelling of the brain)
- meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain),
- hearing loss
- miscarriage of an unborn child
- inflammation (swelling) of the testicles (orchitis), ovaries (oophoritis) or breasts (mastitis)
- Male infertility (possible but extremely rare).
Sources & Citations
- Mayo Clinic. Mumps Signs and Symptoms. Available at https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mumps/symptoms-causes/syc-20375361 (accessed 4 April 2018).
SPANZ.SAPAS.18.04.0135a - Date of preparation May 2018Show All