How long before you travel to Malaysia do you need vaccinations?
It is best to consult with your doctor or travel health clinic at least 8 weeks prior to your departure. They will be able to advise you about any vaccinations that you may need for your trip well before you leave, based on your specific travel plans.
What your doctor will need to know:
• When you plan to travel (time of year/season)
• The duration of your trip
• The regions of Malaysia you are visiting
• Your planned activities (i.e. if you are going trekking or visiting remote and/or wilderness areas)
• If you will be in contact with animals
• If you are up-to-date with your routine vaccinations
Your doctor may also conduct a general health check-up. This may be needed for your travel insurance if you have a pre-existing medical condition.
If you are not up-to-date with your routine vaccinations, or if your doctor believes you may be at an increased risk of contracting a vaccine-preventable disease, then they may recommend that you get a booster or be revaccinated against a particular disease.
Sources & Citations
8. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Travelers’ Health Malaysia - Traveler View. Available at: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/malaysia (accessed 3 April 2020).
10. Smartraveller. Malaysia Travel advice and safety. Available at: https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/pacific/fiji (accessed 23 March 2020).
11. Australian Government, Department of Health. The Australian Immunisation Handbook. Vaccination for international travellers. Available at: https://immunisationhandbook.health.gov.au/vaccination-for-special-risk-groups/vaccination-for-international-travellers (accessed 3 April 2020).
SPANZ.SAPAS.18.04.0139(1)a - Date of preparation April 2020Show All