I’m getting tattooed, do I need a hepatitis B vaccine?
All Australian children should be receiving hepatitis B vaccines as part of the National Immunisation Program (NIP).
If you are getting a tattoo in Australia, it is likely that the tattoo artist is following the standard practices for infection control. A few ways that you can ensure this includes making sure:
- Your tattoo artist is registered with the local council.
- Your tattoo artist knows the industry Code of Practice.
- The premises of your tattoo artist are clean and properly equipped with items for personal hygiene, cleaning and sterility, including a bench-top steriliser (steam autoclave).
- Needles are single use only.
- Sterilised equipment is opened just before use.
- Pigments and dyes are in single use vessels only.
- Your tattoo artist cleans and disinfects your skin before they start.
- Your tattoo artist washes their hands and wears clean, disposable gloves while they work.
If you are getting a tattoo while overseas, hepatitis B and other blood-borne diseases (e.g. HIV and hepatitis C) may be more common in the country you are travelling to and the country may not have the same infection control practices as we have in Australia. Speak with your doctor at least 6-8 weeks prior to your departure to ensure you are protected from diseases while overseas.
Sources & Citations
4. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Travelers’ Health, Hepatitis B. Available at: wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/diseases/hepatitis-b (accessed 4 March 2020).
6. Australian Government, Department of Health, National Immunisation Program Schedule. Available at: www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/national-immunisation-program-schedule-portrait (accessed 4 March 2020).
7. NSW Health. Tattooing and other body art - hygiene standards. Available at: https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/environment/factsheets/Pages/tattooing.aspx (accessed 5 March 2020).
8. Australian Government, Department of Health. Healthy Body Art. Available at www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/ohp-bbvs-bodyart2011 (accessed 5 March 2020).
SPANZ.SAPAS.18.04.0173(2)a - Date of preparation April 2020Show All