Meningococcal vaccines available in Australia?
There are a number of vaccines available in Australia:
- Meningococcal ACWY vaccine – this covers disease caused by A, C, W and Y
Meningococcal ACWY vaccine is provided free to all infants at 12 months of age on the National Immunisation Program (NIP) as of July 2018.
- Meningococcal B vaccine – this covers disease caused by the B strain.
- Some state and territory governments are also providing free meningococcal vaccinations to students in high schools and to men who have sex with men. Contact your doctor to find out what vaccines are being provided in your state.
For further information on available vaccines, speak with your healthcare professional.
Sources & Citations
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Meningococcal disease. Signs and symptoms. Available at https://www.cdc.gov/meningococcal/about/symptoms.html (accessed 18 April 2018).
- Victoria State Government. Meningococcal disease. Available at https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/meningococcal-disease (accessed 18 April 2018).
SPANZ.MENAC.18.05.0181a - Date of preparation May 2018Show All