What are the symptoms of meningococcal disease?
Meningococcal disease is potentially fatal, urgent medical advice at the nearest hospital is advised if someone displays symptoms of the infections.
- stiff neck
- photophobia (eyes being more sensitive to light)
- poor eating/drinking, low alertness and vomiting (babies)
- cold hands and feet
- severe aches or pains
- rapid breathing
- a dark purple rash in the later stages
Sources & Citations
2. The Australian Immunisation Handbook. Meningococcal disease. Available at: https://immunisationhandbook.health.gov.au/vaccine-preventable-diseases/meningococcal-disease (accessed June 2020).
3. Better Health. Victoria State Government. Meningococcal disease. Available at: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/meningococcal-disease (accessed June 2020).
7. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Meningococcal disease – Signs and symptoms. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/meningococcal/about/symptoms.html (accessed June 2020).
MAT-AU-2000217 - Date of preparation July 2020Show All