What vaccinations do I need for Fiji?
The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends that all travellers are up-to-date with their routine vaccinations including; measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), hepatitis B, polio, influenza and pneumococcal disease. These vaccinations are given as part of the National Immunisation Program (NIP). For a full list please refer to the NIP schedule, available here In some cases, you may need a booster or re-vaccination against a disease to ensure you still have immunity.
Other diseases that are considered a risk in Fiji include hepatitis A, hepatitis B and typhoid. Your doctor will be able to let you know which vaccinations are recommended for you, based on the time of year, destination/s, activities planned and the duration of your stay.
In March 2018, the Fijian Ministry of Health and Medical Services issued a warning about an outbreak of meningococcal disease in Fiji. Vaccinations are available for meningococcal disease – speak to your GP.
In late 2019, there was an outbreak of measles in a number of Pacific countries, including Fiji. Before travelling to Fiji, it is recommended that you speak with your GP to ensure you are protected against measles. If your vaccinations do need updating, you should be fully vaccinated at least two weeks before you travel.
Sources & Citations
8. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Travelers’ Health Fiji – Traveler View. Available at: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/fiji (accessed 31 March 2020).
9. Australian Government, Department of Health. National Immunisation Program Schedule. Available at: https://www.health.gov.au/health-topics/immunisation/immunisation-throughout-life/national-immunisation-program-schedule#national-immunisation-program-schedule-from-1-april-2019 (accessed 31 March 2020).
10. Australian Government, Department of Health. The Australian Immunisation Handbook. Vaccination for international travellers. Available at: https://immunisationhandbook.health.gov.au/vaccination-for-special-risk-groups/vaccination-for-international-travellers (accessed 23 March 2020).
11. Fiji Government Ministry of Health and Medical Services. Media Release: Meningococcal Disease Outbreak. Available at: www.health.gov.fj/media-release-meningococcal-disease-outbreak/ (accessed 31 March 2020).
12. Smartraveller. Pacific measles outbreak. Available at: https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/news-and-updates/pacific-measles-outbreak (accessed 31 March 2020).
SPANZ.SAPAS.18.04.0146(1) - Date of preparation May 2020Show All