Is the flu vaccine free?
Influenza vaccine is recommended for everyone > 6 months old.
It is currently free for the following groups of people due to their increased risk of complications from influenza:
- Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders from 6 months of age
- All adults > 65 years of age
- All people > 6 months of age with certain medical conditions (e.g. severe asthma, lung or heart disease, low immunity or diabetes) – speak to your doctor if you are unsure if you are eligible
- Pregnant women (at any stage during their pregnancy).
- In 2018 most State & Territory governments are funding free flu vaccine for children less than 5 years of age.
Check with your doctor for more information. 12-17
Sources & Citations
- Australian Government, Department of Health. Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) for immunisation providers regarding the administration of seasonal influenza vaccines in 2018. Available at: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&ved=0ahukewiwj4ihnsdaahwchoakhqfqanw4chawcdiwag&url=https%3a%2f%2fwww2.health.vic.gov.au%2fapi%2fdownloadmedia%2f%257bf5db5969-440e-4437-96fb-4f3fd2192a86%257d&usg=aovvaw0nnugz32obs1lrzcadq48d (accessed 16 February 2018).
- NSW Government. Free flu job for NSW kids under five this winter. 23 January 2018. Available at: https://www.nsw.gov.au/your-government/the-premier/media-releases-from-the-premier/free-flu-jab-for-nsw-kids-under-five-this-winter/ (accessed 7 July 2018).
- Queensland Government. Queensland Health. Free influenza vaccine for children. 20 October 2017. Available at: https://www.health.qld.gov.au/clinical-practice/guidelines-procedures/diseases-infection/immunisation/free-influenza-vaccine-for-children (accessed 7 July 2018).
- Government of Western Australia. Department of Health. Influenza immunization program. Available at: http://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/Articles/F_I/Influenza-immunisation-program (accessed 4 February 2018)
- ACT Government. Free flu vaccinations for Canberra children this winter. 27 February 2018. Available at: https://www.cmtedd.act.gov.au/open_government/inform/act_government_media_releases/meegan-fitzharris-mla-media-releases/2018/free-flu-vaccinations-for-canberra-children-this-winter (accessed 7 July 2018).
- SA Health. Free influenza (flu) vaccine for South Australian children under five. 27 April 2018. Available at: http://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/public+content/sa+health+internet/clinical+resources/for+gps/gp+news/free+influenza+flu+vaccine+for+south+australian+children+under+five (accessed 7 July 2018).
- Hennessy J. Free flu vaccinations to protect Victorian kids. 24 February 2018. Available at: https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/free-flu-vaccinations-to-protect-victorian-kids/ (accessed 7 July 2018).
SPANZ.IFLU.18.04.0165a(1)a - Date of preparation May 2019Show All