How is cholera spread?
Spreading cholera between person-to-person is unlikely, however, cholera is a disease often found in areas with poor sanitation, poor water treatment, and low levels of personal hygiene (mostly in developing countries).
Cholera is spread by:
- drinking contaminated water
- eating food contaminated by dirty water, soiled hands or flies
- eating fish or shellfish from contaminated waters.
Sources & Citations
3. World Health Organization. Cholera. Available at: www.who.int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/cholera [Accessed 26 February 2020].
4. Queensland Health. Cholera Queensland Health Guidelines for Public Health Units. Available at: www.health.qld.gov.au/cdcg/index/cholera [Accessed 26 February 2020].
SPANZ.SAPAS.18.04.0130(2)a - Date of preparation March 2020Show All