Meningococcal vaccines available in Australia?
There are a number of vaccines available in Australia:
- Meningococcal ACWY vaccine – this covers disease caused by A, C, W and Y
- Meningococcal ACWY vaccine is provided free to all infants at 12 months of age on the National Immunisation Program (NIP) as of July 2018.
- Meningococcal ACWY vaccine is also provided free to Year 10 students (adolescents aged 14 to 16 years) through school-based immunisations as of April 2019.
- Given the school-based program is relatively new, there is also a catch-up program for those aged 15-19 years who weren’t able to receive a Meningococccal ACWY vaccination through school. This is offered through GPs and other vaccination providers.
- Meningococcal B vaccine – this covers disease caused by the B strain.
For further information on available vaccines, speak with your healthcare professional.
Sources & Citations
2. The Australian Immunisation Handbook. Meningococcal disease. Available at: https://immunisationhandbook.health.gov.au/vaccine-preventable-diseases/meningococcal-disease (accessed 12 March 2020).
3. Better Health. Victoria State Government. Meningococcal disease. Available at: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/meningococcal-disease (accessed 12 March 2020).
8. Department of Health. Meningococcal immunisation service. Available at: https://www.health.gov.au/health-topics/immunisation/immunisation-services/meningococcal-immunisation-service (accessed 17 March 2020).
SPANZ.MENAC.18.05.0181(2)a - Date of preparation March 2020Show All